Current President: Margaret M. McGuinness
Margaret M. McGuinness, professor and chair of the religion department at La Salle University, became the 93rd President of the American Catholic Historical Association in January 2013. She received her Ph.D. from Union Theological Seminary in New York. Her research interests include U.S. Catholicism, Religion in America, history of women religious, and religion and social justice. She presently serves as co-editor of the journal American Catholic Studies.
Thomas F.X. Noble: Past President (2012)
Thomas F.X. Noble, Professor of History at the University of Notre Dame, became the 92nd President of the American Catholic Historical Association in January 2012. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Michigan. His fields of specialty include medieval and Mediterranean religious history. He received the 2011 Otto Gründler Book Prize for his work Images, Iconoclasm, and the Carolingians (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2009).
Larissa Juliet Taylor: Past President (2011)
Larissa Juliet Taylor, Professor of History at Colby College in Waterville, Maine, became the 91st President of the American Catholic Historical Association at the January 2011 meeting in Boston. She received her Ph.D. from Brown University in 1990 and specializes in late medieval France and church history from antiquity to 1560. She has published The Virgin Warrior: The Life and Death of Joan of Arc (Yale, 2009) and its Italian translation Giovanna d’Arco e la Guerra dei Cent’ Anni (Bruno Mondadori, 2010); Heresy and Orthodoxy in Sixteenth-Century Paris: François Le Picart and the Beginnings of the Catholic Reformation (Brill, 1999); and Soldiers of Christ: Preaching in Late Medieval and Reformation France (Oxford, 1992), which won the 1996 John Nicholas Brown Prize of the Medieval Academy of America. She has also edited Preachers and People in the Reformations and Early Modern Period (2001) and Encyclopedia of Medieval Pilgrimage (2009). She is currently working on two new book projects on “Joan of Arc, the Church and the Papacy, 1429-1920” and “Avignon at the Time of the Plague.”
Rev. Steven M. Avella: Past President (2010)
The Rev. Steven M. Avella, professor of history at Marquette University, is the 90th President of the American Catholic Historical Association. His research and writing is in the area of religion and American life with a specialization in twentieth-century America and the American West. He received his PhD from the University of Notre Dame in 1985. He was awarded the Gambrinus Prize from the Milwaukee County Historical Society in 1992 and 2003, and received the Arrington-Prucha Award from the Western History Association in 2000. He has authored more than six works and edited several other studies in Western urban Catholic history. His latest work is Capital City: The Catholic Church and the Shaping of Sacramento, 1850 to 2000 (University of Nevada Press, 2008). He is currently at work on a biography of Charles K. McClatchy, the editor of the Sacramento Bee (1883-1936). Dr. Avella took office as the ACHA’s 90th President in January 2010 in San Diego, California.
William Chester Jordan: Past President (2009)
Dr. William Chester Jordan is Dayton-Stockton Professor of History and chair of the History Department at Princeton University. He is a former director of the Program in Medieval Studies and has also served as director of the Shelby Cullom Davis Center for Historical Studies. Dr. Jordan has had a broad and varied career in medieval studies, including scholarship not only on the crusades but also in English constitutional history, gender, economics, and disease. His most recent work is Unceasing Strife, Unending Fear: Jacques de Therines and the Freedom of the Church in the Age of the Last Capetians (Princeton University Press, 2005). His recent research is on church-state relations in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. He completed his term as the ACHA’s 89th President in January 2010 in San Diego, California.
Past ACHA Presidents and Vice Presidents
- 1920 Lawrence F. Flick, Richard H. Tierney, S.J., Victor F. O’Daniel, O.P.
- 1921 James J. Walsh, John J. Wynne, S.J., M. S. Ryan, C.M.
- 1922 Robert Howard Lord, Daniel J. Donahoe
- 1923 Charles H. McCarthy, Leo Francis Stock
- 1924 Gaillard Hunt, Parker Thomas Moon
- 1925 Henry Jones Ford, Felix Fellner, O.S.B.
- 1926 Parker Thomas Moon, Richard M. Reilly
- 1927 Clarence E. Martin, Richard M. Reilly
- 1928 John C. Fitzpatrick, William H. DeLacy
- 1929 Leo Frances Stock, Francis S. Betten, S.J.
- 1930 Francis J. Tschan, M. J. Splaine
- 1931 Carlton J. H. Hayes, James M. Reardon
- 1932 James F. Kenney, Edward J. McGolrick
- 1933 Constantine E. McGuire, Gilbert J. Garraghan, S.J.
- 1934 Michael Williams, John La Farge, S.J.
- 1935 Jeremiah D. M. Ford, Claude M. Vogel, O.F.M.Cap.
- 1936 Daniel Sargent, Valentine T. Schaaf, O.F.M.
- 1937 Herbert F. Bell, Edward F. Hawks
- 1938 Ross J. F. Hoffman, Samuel Knox Wilson, S.J.
- 1939 Carlos E. Castañeda, Edward P. McAdams
- 1940 Herbert H. Coulson, Gerald Groveland Walsh, S.J.
- 1941 Marshall W. Baldwin, Wilfrid Parsons, S.J.
- 1942 Martin R. P. McGuire, Theodore Roemer, O.F.M.Cap.
- 1943 Richard Pattee, Joseph H. Brady
- 1944 Paul Kiniery, Francis Borgia Steck, O.F.M.
- 1945 John J. Meng, John E. Sexton
- 1946 Thomas F. O’Connor, Peter M. Dunne, S.J.
- 1947 Friedrich Engel-Janosi, Felix Fellner, O.S.B.
- 1948 Francis A. Arlinghaus, Edward T. Harrington
- 1949 Henry S. Lucas, Peter Leo Johnson
- 1950 Waldemar Gurian, Michael J. Hynes
- 1951 A. Paul Levack, Edward A. Ryan, S.J.
- 1952 Raymond J. Sontag, J. Joseph Ryan
- 1953 John T. Farrell, Ignatius Brady, O.F.M.
- 1954 Thomas P. Neill, Francis Dvornik
- 1955 Aaron I. Abell, Dora J. Gunderson
- 1956 Oscar Halecki, Gerald E. Dupont, S.S.E.
- 1957 Thomas H. D. Mahoney, Astrik L. Gabriel, O.Praem.
- 1958 Stephan Kuttner, Thomas T. McAvoy, C.S.C.
- 1959 Harry W. Kirwin, Eric McDermott, S.J.
- 1960 Paul Horgan, Annabelle M. Melville
- 1961 Robert F. Byrnes, Charles H. Metzger, S.J.
- 1962 Manoel Cardozo, Adrian Fuerst, O.S.B.
- 1963 Gerhart B. Ladner, Antonine Tibesar, O.F.M.
- 1964 Vincent P. DeSantis, Lowrie J. Daly, S.J.
- 1965 Brian Tierney, Marian McKenna
- 1966 Philip Hughes, Sister Marie Carolyn Klinkhamer, O.P.
- 1967 Carl B. Cone, Elisa A. Carillo
- 1968 Francis L. Broderick, Frank Klement
- 1969 John Tracy Ellis, Michael M. Sheehan, C.S.B.
- 1970 Edward T. Gargan, Albert J. Loomie, S.J.
- 1971 David Herlihy, Robert F. McNamara
- 1972 Albert C. Outler, Sister Mary Consuela Callaghan, I.H.M.
- 1973 Astrik L. Gabriel, John Francis Bannon, S.J.
- 1974 Eric W. Cochrane, William Hinnebusch, O.P.
- 1975 Robert I. Burns, S.J., Gilbert Cahill
- 1976 Colman, Barry, O.S.B., Leonard E. Boyle, O.P.
- 1977 John A. Lukacs, William R. Trimble
- 1978 Philip Gleason, Sister Joan Bland, S.N.D.
- 1979 Joseph N. Moody; William D. Miller
- 1980 Joseph F. O’Callaghan; Lawrence J. McCaffrey
- 1981 Martin E. Marty; Samuel J. T. Miller
- 1982 Martin J. Havran; Newman C. Eberhardt, C.M.
- 1983 Robert Brentano; M. Evangeline Thomas, C.S.J.
- 1984 Paul F. Grendler; Richard J. Schiefen, C.S.B
- 1985 James A. Brundage; Annabelle M. Melville
- 1986 James Hennesey, S.J.; Walter D. Gray
- 1987 Josef L. Altholz; Eileen Rice, O.P.
- 1988 Bernard F. Reilly; Maurice R. O’Connell
- 1989 Annabelle M. Melville, Donald P. Gavin
- 1990 John W. O’Malley, S.J.; Raymond H. Schmandt
- 1991 Lawrence J. McCaffrey; Thomas W. Spalding, C.F.X.
- 1992 Gerald P. Fogarty, S.J.; Joseph L. Wieczynski
- 1993 Caroline Walker Bynum; Dolores Liptak, R.S.M.
- 1994 Elisabeth Gregorich Gleason; James A. Brundage
- 1995 Jay P. Dolan; Bennett D. Hill, O.S.B.
- 1996 William J. Callahan; Francis J. Weber
- 1997 Uta-Renate Blumenthal; Grace E. Donovan, S.U.S.C.
- 1998 David J. O’Brien; Mary Alice Gallin, O.S.U.
- 1999 James D. Tracy; John M. Padberg, S.J.
- 2000 Joseph H. Lynch; James Muldoon
- 2001 Patrick W. Carey; JohnW. Witek, S.J.
- 2002 Frederic J. Baumgartner, Cyprian Davis, O.S.B.
- 2003 Bernard McGinn; Robert L. Bireley, S.J.
- 2004 Christopher J. Kauffman; James K. Farge, C.S.B.
- 2005 Thomas Kselman, Mary J. Oates, S.S.J.
- 2006 James M. Powell, Kathleen Neils Conzen
- 2007 Joseph P. Chinnici, O.F.M., Sabine MacCormack
- 2008 Robert L. Bireley, S.J., Ann Taves
- 2009 William Chester Jordan, Steven Avella
- 2010 Steven Avella, Larissa Juliet Taylor
- 2011 Larissa Juliet Taylor, Thomas F.X. Noble
- 2012 Thomas F.X. Noble, Margaret McGuinness
- 2013 Margaret McGuinness, Daniel Bornstein